Vision and Mission
Our Division of Global Public Health (GPH) will improve the health and social conditions of our global communities through training, outreach and global health leadership.
The mission of GPH is to:
- Conduct high-caliber research to improve health and access to health services among vulnerable populations globally and inform policy.
- Reduce the health impact of social inequalities related to poverty, migration, gender and race/ethnicity.
- Prepare the next generation of global health researchers and practitioners to address global health issues through educational activities directed to faculty, students, fellows and the community.
- Provide training for the next generation of global health researchers by offering public health research and clinical opportunities in international settings and with diverse communities.
- Initiate, participate and foster collaborations on global health activities within and across departments across UCSD, the UC system and U.S.-based and international governmental and non-governmental agencies and institutions.
- Offer leadership and consultation on global health topics across the UCSD campus and UC system as well as to local, regional, national and international organizations.
GPH promotes research, teaching and service based on the principles of social justice and health equity. GPH also promotes the development of equal binational partnerships with UCSD, other academic institutions and non-governmental organizations.