Dr. Richard Garfein
Richard S. Garfein, PhD, MPH, is a Professor in the Division of Global Public Health, Department of Medicine at UCSD. He trained as an infectious disease epidemiologist, first earning an M.P.H. from the San Diego State University, School of Public Health in 1989 and then a Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health in 1997. Between his graduate training and joining the UCSD faculty in 2005, Dr. Garfein served as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer in the Division of Viral Hepatitis and a Senior Staff Epidemiologist in the Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. His research interests involve identifying risk factors for and developing interventions to prevent infectious diseases associated with substance abuse. His career in this area began with a seminal study showing that HCV infection occurs very soon after initiation of injection drug use, which led to development of behavioral interventions targeting young IDUs for HIV and HCV prevention. While at the CDC, he investigated outbreaks of hepatitis B and C virus infection and led observational and interventional studies of HIV and viral hepatitis among injection drug users in the U.S. and abroad. After joining the UCSD faculty, Dr. Garfein has conducted studies describing HIV and HCV risk among IDUs and other marginalized populations in the U.S./Mexico border region. He is also conducting research on the behavioral determinates of acute HIV infection and public health policies related to HIV testing and non-prescription syringe sales. Dr. Garfein has recently expanded the scope of his research to include describing tuberculosis among vulnerable populations, evaluating molecular assays for rapid detection of drug resistant TB, and developing mobile phone based interventions for improving patient adherence to anti-TB treatment. His international research and consulting activities have included Mexico, Russia, Thailand, Taiwan, Okinawa, Puerto Rico, Malawi, Sierra Leone and Kyrgyzstan.
- Baird SJ, Garfein RS, McIntosh CT & Özler B. Effect of a cash transfer programme for schooling on prevalence of HIV and herpes simplex type 2 in Malawi: a cluster randomized trial. Lancet. 2012. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61709-1. Commentary printed in The Economist
- Garfein RS, Vlahov D, Galai N, Doherty MC, Nelson KE. Viral infections among short-term injection drug users: the prevalence of hepatitis C, hepatitis B, human immunodeficiency, and human T-lymphotrophic viruses. American Journal of Public Health. 1996;86:655-661
- Garfein RS, Swartzendruber A, Ouellet LJ, Kapadia F, Hudson SM, Thiede H, Strathdee SA, Williams IT, Bailey SL, Hagan H, Golub ET, Kerndt P, Hanson DL, Latka MH, for the DUIT Study Team. Methods to recruit and retain a cohort of young-adult injection drug users for The Third Collaborative Injection Drug Users Study/Drug Users Intervention Trial (CIDUS III/DUIT). Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2007;91 Suppl 1:S4-S17
- Garfein RS, Golub ET, Greenberg A, Hagan H, Hanson DL, Hudson S, Kapadia F, Latka MH, Ouellet LJ, Purcell DW, Strathdee SA, Thiede H, for the DUIT Study Team. A peer-education intervention to reduce injection risk behaviors for HIV and HCV infection in young injection drug users. AIDS. 2007;21:1923-32x
- Faye-White E, Garfein RS, Brouwer KC, Lozada R, Ramos R, Firestone-Cruz M, Perez SG, Magis-Rodriguez C, Conde-Gonzalez CJ, Strathdee SA. Prevalence of hepatitis C virus and HIV infection among injection drug users in two Mexican cities bordering the U.S. Salud Publica de Mexico. 2007;49:165-172
- Garfein RS, Lozada R, Liu L, Laniado-Laborin R, Rodwell TC, Deiss R, Alvelais J, Catanzaro A, Chiles PG, Strathdee SA. High Prevalence of Latent Tuberculosis Infection among Injection Drug Users in Tijuana, Mexico. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2009;13:626-632
- Garfein RS, Metzner M, Cuevas J, Bousman CA, Patterson T. Formative Assessment of ARM-U: A Modular Intervention for Decreasing Risk Behaviors among HIV-positive and HIV-negative Methamphetamine-Using MSM. The Open AIDS Journal. 2010;4:105-115
- Rodwell TC, Barnes RF, Moore M, Strathdee SA, Raich A, Moser KS, Garfein RS. HIV-Tuberculosis Coinfection in Southern California: Evaluating Disparities in Disease Burden. American Journal of Public Health. 2010;100 Suppl 1:S178-85
- Garfein RS, Laniado-Laborin R, Rodwell TC, Lozada R, Deiss R, Burgos JL, Cuevas-Mota J, Cerecer P, Moser K, Volker ML, Strathdee SA. Latent tuberculosis among persons at risk for infection with HIV, Tijuana, Mexico. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2010;16:757-763
- Garfein RS, Burgos JL, Rodriguez-Lainz AA, Brodine S, Amanda P, Rondinelli A, Laniado-Laborin R, Ibarra E, Cañez A, Miguel FA. Latent Tuberculosis Infection in a Migrant Agricultural Community in Baja California, Mexico. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 2010 Jul 29. [Epub ahead of print].
- Cross-border Dynamics of MDR/XDR-TB Epidemiology by HIV Status on Tijuana, Mexico. Funding source: NIAID R56-AI0831321
- Mobile Phone-Based Video Directly Observed Therapy for Tuberculosis. Funding source: NIAID R21-AI088326
- Drug Tourism to Mexico: Impact of New Drug Law on HIV/HCV/TB Infection on US IDUs. Funding source: NIH/NIDA 1R01-DA031074