Dr. Steffanie A. Strathdee
Steffanie A. Strathdee, PhD, is the Associate Dean of Global Health Sciences, Harold Simon Professor and Chief of the Division of Global Public Health in the Department of Medicine at the University of California San Diego School of Medicine. She is also an Adjunct Professor at the Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Strathdee is an infectious disease epidemiologist who has spent the last two decades focusing on HIV prevention in underserved, marginalized populations in developed and developing countries, including injection drug users, men having sex with men, and sex workers. In the last decade, she has published over 500 peer-reviewed publications on HIV prevention and the natural history of HIV and related infections and the evaluation of interventions to reduce harms among substance using populations. Currently, she is engaged in a number of HIV/STI prevention projects in international settings including Mexico, India, Canada and Afghanistan. She also leads three NIH-funded studies of HIV risk behaviors among drug users and sex workers on the Mexico-US border, one of which is funded through 2020 by a MERIT award granted by the National Institute on Drug Abuse. She directs a Fogarty-funded AIDS Training Program between academic institutions in San Diego and Tijuana. Dr. Strathdee also directs the UCSD Global Health Initiative. Please visit the following link to learn more about Dr. Strathdee: UC San Diego's QA with Steffanie Strathdee. Her Curriculum Vitae can be accessed from the following link: Strathdee CV
Watch Dr. Strathdee describe the division’s training programs and provide mentoring advice: NIDA TV Spotlight
Dr. Steffanie Strathdee, as featured in "My Sister's Voice":
Dr. Steffanie Strathdee profiled in Lancet.
Listen to Dr. Strathdee's podcast featured by the New England Journal of Medicine about the importance of sterile syringe access for injection drug users . Listen Here:
Selected Publications (of 500):
- Strathdee SA, Hallett TB, Bobrova N, Rhodes T, Booth R, Abdool R, Hankins C. HIV and the Risk Environment among People Who Inject Drugs: Past, Present, and Projections for the Future. Lancet 2010; 376(9737):268-284. PMID: 20650523
- Strathdee SA, Magis-Rodriguez C. Mexico’s evolving HIV epidemic. JAMA 2008; (5):571-3.[commentary]. PMID: 18677029. PMCID: PMC2717701
- Strathdee SA, Lozada R, Ojeda V, Pollini R, Brouwer KC, Vera A, Cornelius W, Nguyen L, Magis-Rodriguez C, Patterson TL for Proyecto El Cuete. Differential effects of migration and deportation on HIV infection among male and female injection drug users in Tijuana, Mexico. PLOS ONE 2008;3(7):e2690. PMID: 18665250. PMCID: PMC2467493
- Strathdee SA, Stockman JK. Epidemiology of HIV among injecting and non-injecting drug users: current trends and implications for interventions. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2010 May;7(2):99-106.
- Harmonizing Law Enforcement and HIV Prevention through a Police Education Program
- Impact of Drug Policy Reform on the HIV Risk Environment Among IDUs in Tijuana (El Cuete, Phase IV). Funding source: NIDA R01-DA019829
- Epidemiologic study on changing HIV risks among FSW-IDUs on the Mexico-US border (Mujer Mas Segura). Funding source: NIDA R01-DA023877
- HIV/STI risks among FSWs and their non-commercial partners (Proyecto Parejas). Funding source: NIDA R01-DA027772
In 2009, Dr. Strathdee and her Mexican collaborators Drs. Remedios Lozada and Carlos Magis-Rodriguez were granted an award for Leadership in International Collaborations by the National Institute for Drug Abuse.
In 2010, Dr. Strathdee was named by POZ magazine as one of their top 100 in the fight against AIDS.
Dr. Strathdee received a NIDA MERIT Award for her work on Proyecto El Cuete (funded through 2020).
In 2012, Dr. Strathdee received the inaugural Garnett-Powers & Associates "What Powers You" Excellence in Postdoctoral Scholar Mentoring Award from UCSD.
In 2013, the National Hispanic Science Network honored Dr. Strathdee with their national Mentoring Award.