Dr. Danielle Horyniak
is an epidemiologist who uses quantitative and qualitative methods to conduct research focusing on preventing harms associated with illicit drug use, particularly among migrant and refugee-background populations. Danielle holds a Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Hons) and a PhD in Epidemiology, both from Monash University (Melbourne, Australia). Danielle currently holds positions as an Early Career Research Fellow at the Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute, and as an Adjunct Research Fellow with Monash University’s School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine.
In 2014, Danielle was awarded an Endeavour Research Fellowship and an Australian National Health & Medical Research Council Early Career Fellowship to support her postdoctoral training at UCSD. While at UCSD, Danielle will be working with Dr Steffanie Strathdee
and Dr Victoria Ojeda
to examine the complex relationships between forced migration and substance use, with a particular focus on deported migrants on the US-Mexico border. In 2016, Danielle was awarded a Postdoctoral Research Grant from the UC San Diego Global Health Institute to conduct the first-ever study examining health needs of deported U.S. military veterans in Tijuana, Mexico.
Selected peer-reviewed publications:
1. Horyniak D
, Pinedo M, Burgos JL, Ojeda VD. (2016) Relationships between integration and drug use among deported migrants in Tijuana, Mexico. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health DOI:10.1007/s10903-016-0518-8
2. Horyniak D, Melo J, Farrell R, Ojeda VD, Strathdee S. (2016) Epidemiology of substance use among forced migrants: a global systematic review. PLoS ONE 11(7):e0159134
3. Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T. (2016) Heavy alcohol consumption among marginalised African refugee young people in Melbourne, Australia: Motivations for drinking, experiences of alcohol-related problems, and strategies for managing drinking. Ethnicity and Health 21(3):284-299
4. Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T, Seid G. (2014) Experiences of and attitudes towards injecting drug use among marginalised African migrant and refugee youth in Melbourne, Australia. Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse 13(4):405-429
5. Dietze P, Horyniak D, Agius P, Munir V, Smit DV, Johnston J, Fry C, Degenhardt L. (2014) Effect of intubation for Gamma-hydroxybutyric Acid overdose on Emergency Department length of stay and hospital admission. Academic Emergency Medicine 21(11):1226-1231
6. Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt L, Higgs P, McIlwraith F, Alati R, Bruno R, Lenton S, Burns L. (2013) The relationship between age and risky injecting behaviors among a sample of Australian people who inject drugs. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 132 (3): 541-546
7. Sacks-Davis R, Horyniak D, Grebely J, Hellard M. (2012) Systematic review of behavioral interventions to prevent hepatitis C infection among injecting drug users. International Journal of Drug Policy 23(3):176-1848